Wednesday 30 January 2013

February= OverComing TV Addiction



So, apparently the first step to recovery is acceptance. Here, I am suppose to admit to the various addiction that I think I have. Who am I kidding; I don't 'think' I'm addicted, I 'know' I am.Here it is:
I am addicted to watching TV shows online. It seems mediocre, but it is by far one of the most disabling addiction I have. First of all, it is easily accessible, always available and there is always a new show or episode that I could convince myself to watch.

My addiction to watching TV shows started during last summer when I developed an acute anxiety disorder. Watching shows became a way that I escaped my highly anxious reality. Watching shows like Californication, Weeds, and MadMen for hours upon hours, considering many of the so-called good shows had been on air for several seasons meant sleepless night and drowsy days of watching exhilarating TV shows. I eagerly played the next episode when the current one was done because I just couldn't wait to find out what happens next.

Once I finished watching the 'good' shows, I discovered my anxiety became much worse, now that I didn't know what else to watch. So, I settled for anything semi-decent with some what of a story line to keep me busy. Now almost 8 month into this, I have been late to complete my Master's thesis, apply for internship and job postings related to my field, my anxiety disorder has gradually become chronic and I find myself surfing for new episodes of anything, in order to distract myself from doing what I should be doing.

Hopefully, with the start of this blog my TV addiction will come to the end.
Everyday, until the end of the month, I am going to write about over coming one of my addictions.
It will work. I know it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment