Wednesday 6 February 2013

Are You Addicted to: diets?

Here it is: I have never been considered skinny.
And, since I could remember I have either been on a diet, finished a diet, failed on a diet, or thought I really need try that new diet.

This is not a unique tale, and I am certainly not the first person to write about it. We are all aware of the role that media plays in presenting the 'ideal', and we all seem to be experts in criticizing the fashion industry and ad campaigns for planting the 'skinny seed' in our brain. 

Yet, North Americans spend close to $40 BILLION/Year on weight-loss programs and regimens. I am not going to lie, I have contributed a hefty amount to this total as well. 

We also have the crazy Cabbage Soup Diet, 3 day Military Diet, Master Cleanse, Baby Food diet and so on and so forth that could easily be found on the internet. But, we know that they don't work, if they did, we would all be skinny. The only thing they do is reduce the water weight for a few days giving you the illusion that you have lost weight. I would know; I have tried a number of them. 

If I spend half the time following a healthy lifestyle that I do following new fad diets, I would maintain a healthy weight. But, the problem is, it seems that I have been engineered to only respond to quick results. Or the truth is, I am addicted to diets. There is a rush I get when I start a new diet because I think 'this might just be it'; this could be the formula to becoming the 'skinny image' that I have in my mind.

And, like any other addict, when I hear someone talk about a new diet and its supposed results, I get excited and become anxious to try it.

But, I am sure I am not alone. If the diet industry is as successful as it is, there are a few 100 (thousand) addicts like myself out there struggling with this addiction, unequipped with any real information about how to overcome it. And, NO, simply telling someone to change their mindset towards diets and body image is not a feasible, realistic solution.

If someone out there has a real solution to overcoming diet addiction, I would love to hear from you, but until then...


 the real question remains
Are You Addicted to Dieting?

Image from: www.bcliving.ca
            





No comments:

Post a Comment